Recruiting a Butler, a Maître d’Hôtel, or a waiter / waitress, one of the important things to understand is the type of table service required by our client.
Depending on the event or meal being served, the type of table service will vary. In this article, we are going to provide more information about the most popular service methods such as Silver or English service, French or Butler service, Russian service, American service and Buffet service.
- Nowadays the most commonly used is American service. The specifics of this style is that food is prepared and decorated in the kitchen and served to guests, sometimes under plate covers which are removed in front of the guests. Dishes are always served from the right side of the guest. This method allows serving a lot of guests in a short time.
- Silver or English service includes serving food at the table. A Butler or a waiter/waitress individually serves each guest from a large platter, starting with the host or the guest of honour, holding the platter in the left hand serving from the left side of the guest, using a fork and a spoon. This technique requires much practice.
- French or Butler service has two ways of presenting dishes. Food is completed in front of the guests and served by waiters who either offer the dish to each guest who helps himself or herself, or simply put platters on the table so the guests can help themselves. This type of service requires highly skilled staff and dishes are always served from the left side of the guest.
- Unlike the French style, where the food is brought out at once in an impressive display, Russian table service involves courses being brought to the table sequentially. Moreover, the dishes are prepared and garnished in the kitchen, presented to guests and carved and portioned by the waiter.
- Buffet Service is a self-service where food is displayed on tables in a serving space. Guests commute there to be served by the Butler (waiter/waitress) behind the buffet table or sometimes to serve themselves, and then carry their plate back to the table. Buffets vary from very informal to rather formal setting of a wedding or diplomatic receptions.
Whatever type of table service you choose, we will ensure that you have the right staff to serve you. Please feel free to contact our offices and our consultants will be happy to provide our bespoke service !